Now Hiring: Assistant to Executive Director
JOIN OUR TEAM AND A GLOBAL MOVEMENT OF DHARMA-BASED ACTIVISM
Job Description: Assistant to Executive Director, part-time, New York City
Zen Peacemakers International (ZPI) connects, inspires, supports and trains Peacemakers throughout the world who practice meditation, embody the Three Tenets of the Zen Peacemakers (Not Knowing, Bearing Witness, Taking Action), live an ethical life, and do social action as a path of awakening and service. We hold multi-faith, multi-national Bearing Witness Programs in places of genocide and deep communal trauma.
ZPI is a Buddhist-based 501(c)3 not-for-profit religious US organization with vast international reach. Zen Peacemakers was founded by Zen Master Bernie Glassman, award-winning pioneer in social enterprise and engaged Buddhism, the first successor of Japanese Zen Master Hakuun Taizan Maezumi, and the second abbot of Zen Center of Los Angeles. Bernieâ€™s life of creativity, service, and awakening gave rise to the Greyston Foundation, Mandala and Bakery â€“ a comprehensive social enterprise addressing poverty in Yonkers, NY USA â€“ as well as to Zen Peacemakers Street Retreats and plunges, and the Zen Peacemaker Order. Â His life inspired countless Peacemakers and Seekers around the globe to heal the sufferings of the world. Zen Peacemakers International convenes a membership of nearly fifteen hundred members and affiliated groups, working in diverse fields of activism such as climate, immigration, peacebuilding, LGBTQIA+, housing and poverty, and many more.
Working for ZPI is a unique opportunity to:
- Support a fast-growing, diverse global movement of social action based on Buddhist practices and teachings
- Develop dynamic global outreach projects
- Be in contact with prominent Buddhist teachers
- Develop global, cross-cultural sensitivity and awareness
- Continue an acclaimed, pioneering legacy of 25 years, stemming from authentic Zen Buddhist practice, addressing the complex global challenges of the 21st century.
- Enjoy a flexible work schedule that can fit other jobs or a mobile lifestyle.
The Assistant to the Executive Director will support all aspects of ZPIâ€™s operations, which are managed by the Executive Director: their Bearing Witness Programs, membership network, and all other offerings. Â Â The duties of the Assistant to the Executive Director include and are not limited to:
- Daily management administration
- Maintaining database spreadsheets including the ZPI affiliate list, KPIs, and donor databases
- Relay communications with worldwide and high-profile partners and collaborators
- Develop and maintain a website
- Curate content and maintain a calendar of social media presence
- Write, proof, and/or compose blog posts & newsletters for mass-emailing
- Support and field questions from members and the media
- Support the coordination of the Auschwitz Birkenau bearing witness retreat
- Support the coordination of the Native American Bearing Witness programs
- Communications with support teams on various platforms.
Our ideal candidate:
- Local to New York City
- Motivated to work independently and collaboratively
- Excellent American/British English language skills. Multilingual is a plus, especially German and/or Spanish
- Excellent competency in Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Agorapulse)
- Creative writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Must-have app/software skills: Â MS-OFFICE, Google Suite: Mail/Docs/Sheets/FormsÂ
- Flexibility – must be comfortable with fast-paced change. (Not knowing is the First Tenet of the Zen Peacemakers!)
- Entrepreneurial experience
- Comfortable working across global time zones
- Owns a computer they are willing to use for this work
- Comfortable Â working remotely, using conferencing and phone technologies for most communications
- Comfortable co-working with the ED in person if in NY.
Recommended but not required:
- Interest in / active study of Buddhism or other spiritual faiths
- Meditation practice
- Experience in community organizing/volunteering/ activism
- Experience with Zen Peacemakers
- Experience living, traveling or studying abroad
- Nonviolent communication training
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, Zoom, Skype, Stripe, PayPal, Salesforce, Hivebrite, Agorapulse, Â Trello
About the Executive Director
The Assistant to the Executive Director will work closely with ZPIâ€™s Executive Director, Rami Mukyu Efal. Rami is Israel-born and lives in the US. He served in the Israeli Defense Forces as a criminal investigator investigating crimes by soldiers, including human rights violations. He has been a student of Zen Buddhism for 14 years and has lived for 4 years in a cloistered Zen Buddhist monastery and an urban lay temple. Rami is a nonviolent communication facilitator as well as an illustrator and fine artist. He was Roshi Bernie Glassmanâ€™s last student and served as Roshi Glassmanâ€™s attendant in the last five years of his life.
- Start July 1st, 2019
- 3-month trial, extend after mutual evaluation
- $15/hour, 20 hours/week (part-time), $18/hour after trial
- The successful candidate will be hired on an Independent Contractor basis.
Step #1: fill out this registration form:
Step #2: send resumes to [email protected] Due to the volume of applications, acknowledgment of all submissions may not be possible. Please follow up.
Zen Peacemakers International provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Artwork for the graphic above by Georgia von Schlieffen, Germany
August 23, 2019
Reverence When the Shine Goes Dark: Caretaking of the Stolpersteine Holocaust Victims Street Monuments
August 21, 2019