Day of Reflection, Gatha of Atonement [Full Liturgy]
To begin the Day of Reflection, please place your palms together and recite the following with utmost sincerity:
I, _____________, now recite the Gatha of Atonement.
All karma ever committed by me since of old,
Due to my beginningless greed, hatred, and delusion.
Born of my actions, speech, and thought.
Now I atone for it all. (Repeat 3x)
¬†Now being mindful of my actions, speech, and thought, I commit myself to observing this Day of Reflection with the following practices:
I, _____________, take refuge in the Buddha, the oneness of life. I take refuge in the Dharma, the diversity of life. I take refuge in the Sangha, the interdependence of Buddha and Dharma. (Repeat 3x)
I, _____________, for the coming day, commit to Not-knowing by giving up fixed ideas about myself and the universe. I commit to Bearing Witness to the joy and suffering of the universe. I commit to Taking Action that arises from Not-Knowing and Bearing Witness.
As Zen Peacemakers throughout all space and time have practiced the following Ten Precepts, so will I, ______________, observe these practices:
- I will recognize that I am not separate from all that is. This is the practice of Non-killing. I will not lead a harmful life, nor encourage others to do so. I will live in harmony with all life and the environment that sustains it.
- I will be satisfied with what I have. This is the practice of Non-stealing. I will not take anything not given and not encourage others to steal. I will freely give, ask for, and accept what is needed.
- I will meet the diversity of life with respect and dignity. This is the practice of Chaste Conduct. I will not create conditions for others to be unchaste. I will give and accept love and friendship without clinging.
- I will listen and speak from the heart. This is the practice of Non-lying.¬† I will not create conditions for others to lie. I will see and act in accordance with what is.
- I will cultivate a mind that sees clearly. This is the practice of Not Being Deluded. I will not encourage others to be deluded. I will embrace all experience directly.
- I will bear witness to the offering of each moment. This is the practice of Not Talking About Others Errors and Faults. I will not encourage others to talk about others errors and faults. I will acknowledge responsibility for everything in my life.
- I will speak what I perceive to be the truth. This is the practice of Not Elevating Myself and Blaming Others. I will not encourage others to elevate themselves and blame others. I will give my best effort and accept the results.
- I will use all the ingredients of my life. This is the practice of Not Being Stingy. I will not foster a mind of poverty in myself or others.
- I will bear witness to emotions that arise. ¬†This is the practice of¬†¬†Not Holding On To Anger. I will not create conditions for others to be angry. I will not harbor resentment, rage, or revenge. I will practice with emotions.
- I will honor my life as a Zen Peacemaker. This is the practice of Not Disparaging The Three Treasures. I will not create conditions for others to disparage The Three Treasures. I will recognize myself and others as manifestations of Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha.
* * *
TRANSFER OF MERIT
¬†To be recited at the end of the Day of Reflection:
¬†I, _____________, have committed myself to this Zen Peacemaker practice of renewing The Three Treasures, The Three Tenets, The Ten Precepts, The Four Commitments and The Bodhisattva Vow for the duration of one day. May the merits of this practice be extended to all those who dedicate their lives to the practice of peace, and to all those who suffer from the oppression of my own greed, hatred, and ignorance. I wish to transform the passions that afflict me, and to realize and actualize the Buddha Way by serving all beings.
November 17, 2020
May 20, 2020
May 05, 2020