Applying principles of Zen practice, she offers stories and insights that illuminate how to nourish and reap a healing bounty of connection, joy, and compassion. Examples include how to:
- Relate to a late loved one as a “personal Buddha” who supports you
- Create a home altar to serve as a safe space to be vulnerable, face intense emotions, and experience a depth of warm gratitude that melts fear and anger
- Engage in daily tasks with attentiveness, intention, and creativity such that they become opportunities for body-mind integration
- Develop family rituals to celebrate relationship and mark transition
- Approach illness and grief with a purposeful sense of connection to life-and-death in its wholeness
Like Marie Kondo’s Shinto principles for decluttering, Paula Arai uses rituals influenced by Japanese Zen for personal and relation nourishment and spiritual healing.