Zen Peacemakers Rule and Precepts
The Three Treasures, The Three Tenets, The Ten Practices, The Four Commitments and The Bodhisattva Vow serve as the foundation for the Zen Peacemaker work and practice. One may pursue their study with a teacher and/preceptor.
Three Treasures of a Zen Peacemaker
Recognizing my place in the Circle of Life, I take refuge in:
- Buddha,Â the oneness of life
- Dharma,Â the diversity of life
- Sangha,Â the interdependence of Buddha and Dharma
Three Tenets of a Zen Peacemaker
Taking refuge in The Three Treasures, I vow to live a life of:
- Not-Knowing,Â by giving up fixed ideas about ourselves and the universe
- Bearing WitnessÂ to the joy and suffering of the world
- Taking ActionÂ that arises from Not-Knowing and Bearing Witness
Ten PreceptsÂ of a Zen Peacemaker
Embodying The Three Tenets, I practice these Precepts:
- Recognizing that I am not separate from all that is. This is the precept ofÂ Non-Killing.
- Being satisfied with what I have. This is the precept ofÂ Non-Stealing.
- Meeting the diversity of life with respect and dignity. This is the precept ofÂ Chaste Conduct.
- Listening and speaking from the heart. This is the precept ofÂ Non-Lying.
- Cultivating a mind that sees clearly. This is the precept ofÂ Not Being Ignorant.
- Bearing witness to the offering of each moment. This is the precept ofÂ Not Talking About Othersâ€™ Errors And Faults.
- Speaking what I perceive to be the truth. This is the precept ofÂ Not Elevating Myself And Blaming Others.
- Using all the ingredients of my life. This is the precept ofÂ Not Being Stingy.
- Bearing witness to emotions that arise. This is the precept ofÂ Not Holding On To Anger.
- Honoring my life as a Peacemaker. This is the precept ofÂ Not Disparaging The Three Treasures.
Four CommitmentsÂ of a Zen Peacemaker
Living The Ten Precepts I commit to:
- A reverence for all Â life;
- A sustainable and ethical economy;
- Equal rights for all;
- Stewardship of the Earth.
The Bodhisattva Vows
Numberless beings, I vow to serve them.
Inexhaustible delusions, I vow to end them.
Boundless Dharmas, I vow to practice them.
Unsurpassable Buddha Way, I vow to embody it.
March 20, 2020
February 07, 2019
January 29, 2019